Who do you think you are?!

My photo
"one day i'll jump out of my skin and shake the sky like a thousand violins" - sandra cisneros

May 27, 2010

"To Be Young in May"





"To Be Young in May"

by Julia M. Caldwell


Then is life most beautiful.


One, made for the other.

And together,

Pure intoxication.


Scented softness of lilac,

Apple blossom.


Soft young leaves, soft brown earth.

Soft gentle rains.


Soft sighs, soft yearnings.

And youth,

Everywhere.


To be young in Maytime.


Heady with the fragrance

Of lilac

And first love.


Who could know in December

That in May

The lilacs could awaken

The dormant rapture

That is spring

And youth

And love?"


I spent the past weekend in Kennebunkport, Maine, celebrating the nuptuals of my brother Jeb and his lovely wife, Emilie. The poem above was written by my grandmother about my aunt and uncle when they were young and read at the ceremony by one of Jeb's best friends. It was so fitting for the late May wedding and the obvious love between Emilie and Jeb, it was as if it had been written for them. There were even blooming lilacs surrounding the property. My grandmother would have loved to watch them hear it.
Even as I write this, after all of the family has gone home and the newlyweds are back at home and work, my chest feels all crampy and my eyes are ready to leak at any given moment. In fact, they have leaked spontaneously over the past few days just looking back at what an incredible fiesta it was.
Aside from being a VIP at the party of the century, I spent time with many members of my family who I rarely see, reminisced about Wheaton times, danced to a jazz band I boogied to when I was a tiny thing, conquered the sweetest lobster that comes from the hardest shells and cried on my dad's shoulder while watching my mom and my big brother dance to a sweet sweet song:
"I hope you find the feet of a dancer
I hope you can sing in the rain
I hope you find all of the easy answers to your pain
I hope you find love and affection, someone who cares
I hope you find all the right direction everywhere.
It won't be easy, but what can I say
There will be trouble on the way
And around every corner, there'll be terror and tears
But always remember that we're here.
A shoulder to cry on, whenever you're low
You know you can rely on us, you know
'Cause there's nothing too crazy, and there's nothing too dear
But always remember that we're here.
Even when the rain comes falling down
You know it's falling down on you."


No comments:

Post a Comment