Who do you think you are?!

My photo
"one day i'll jump out of my skin and shake the sky like a thousand violins" - sandra cisneros

September 8, 2009

Don't Mock Me...

My first post on this blog was about a poster that read "Get Excited and Make Things" that was a spin-off of "Keep Calm and Carry On." At the time, I felt that Keep Calm and Carry On was a hidden gem itself, and I liked Get Excited and Make Things because it was even more obscure and original.

Even so, I bought "Keep Calm and Carry On" in mustard, 16' x 20".


Not even a day later, I came upon yet another spoof, "Keep Calm and Carry Pepper Spray" on a notebook in Urban Outfitters. At first, I felt pretty cool for having already purchased the original poster. I thought "I'm pretty cool, because I already bought the original poster, and the idiot emo kids that buy this won't even know where the idea came from." Idiots.



Then, walking down the street that same week, I spied spoof #3 guerilla-plastered on an electrical box on the street! "Just Relax and Enjoy it Baby" had made its debut. My feeling of coolness was quickly swept away by the warm Colorado breeze.


As the old adage goes, "Spoof me once, you're clever, spoof me twice, you're still pretty clever. Spoof me three times, now I'm just a silly joke of a poster that's been spoofed all over the place."

I still love Mr. Mustard poster, and it hangs over the cutest desk in the world (see post from 8/21,) but I can't help but feel a little jaded by the outpouring of recreation out there before it even had a chance to be cool itself. Hmph.

No comments:

Post a Comment