Who do you think you are?!

My photo
"one day i'll jump out of my skin and shake the sky like a thousand violins" - sandra cisneros

June 30, 2010

Spending Someone Else's Money

Crazy story.

This woman with big fabulous sunglasses approached me on the sidewalk today and said she thought I looked like I have great style and like I'd be the perfect person to help her redo her amazing beachside cottage in coastal Maine. She has a bunch of old furniture and her daughter is a textile designer who works with India Hicks and sadly, her husband passed away on a routine dive trip to the Turks and Caicos last year, leaving her heaps and heaps of money that she has no idea how to use. I was obviously flattered, and told her that although I am extremely busy these days (part-time retail management, Wii dancing, making sun tea, the list goes on and on...) I would be happy to try to help her out in my spare time.

Pretending is my favorite. Here are some more ideas for inspiration from craigslist though.


This cute little daybed frame is quietly pleading to be painted bright yellow (daybeds are always so passive aggressive.) I'd make it a cushion with a nautical theme and some ridiculous pillows with crazy sea creatures on them. 

I'm thinking the 3rd color down in a shiny enamel.


This fabric would be perfect for the cushion - kind of a
 canvas/linen feel...


These are the pillows. Kate and I want that whale so badly. I think they are made of the same fabric as the cushion! Get outta town, you old whaler!


Bam, done.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *


Hey ugly chairs, trying to be all cute and functional. Green, you're not so so so bad, but red/plaid guy - you are a disaster. When I look at this picture, I cover the left half with my hand so I don't have to look at you, even though it means I have to type with one hand. Something must be done. 

I'm actually pretty happy about that color green. I say both chair backs should be that green, maybe a touch darker, and the legs should be restored to their chrome hayday.

This is where things get crazy though. 

Cover the seats in this: 
 

Maybe one of the chairs is red instead of green? Or that great cobalt? Possibilities are endless. Well, not endless...there are 2 or 3 options...at least.

2 comments:

  1. um. i totally believed you at first. and was not only insanely jealous but also jumping for joy that you were totally going to be moving to maine and be near me AND have a super fun project that i would secretly try to be your non-paid assistant on. love the idea for that passive-aggressive day bed. so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. i was feeling bummed just now and thought to myself, i know what will make me feel better, jessie's blog! i hope she has a new blog post! and i was right. you have a new blog post and i feel better. although still jealous of your pretend rich woman's beach cottage and your creativity.

    ReplyDelete