Who do you think you are?!

My photo
"one day i'll jump out of my skin and shake the sky like a thousand violins" - sandra cisneros

September 14, 2010

Why Stereotypes Exist

"In 1950 when I was born
Papa couldn't afford to buy us much
He said be proud of what you are
There's something special 'bout people like us
People like us
(Who will answer the telephone)
People like us
(Growing as big as a house)
People like us
(Gonna make it because)
We don't want freedom
We don't want justice
We just want someone to love."
- Talking Heads, "People Like Us" from the True Stories album 



In my last post, I mentioned (nonchalantly breezed over, in fact) a general store in Windsor, Maine by the name of Hussey's. I said it deserved its own post, and I was not lying. 

It's times like these when I wish I had a lot of readers to enjoy a post such as this. It would be for the people out there who stereotype Mainers as hunting hicks who have no running water...and it would make them feel justified in feeling so. 

Their motto: "If We Ain't Got It, You Don't Need It."
Not only do they clearly have a wide range of goods, Hussey's boasts 30,000 square feet of space, making it Maine's largest general store!

Up for grabs: "groceries, furniture, used books, meats & produce, tools & hardware, wedding dresses, ATM, gift cards, feed & grain, hunting equipment, fishing equipment, clothing department, gift shop, collectibles."

Now, to approach the large Moose in the living room... 

Do you like how they sneak in "wedding dresses" with the used books and fishing equipment? That's right...this dress could be yours: 



I can't express to you how far from a joke this is. I know people, well...I knew people who bought their prom dresses at Hussey's.

They also bought their guns, smokes, steaks and stoves there. Separate bags, please. 

Interested in learning more about such a place as Windsor, Maine?
No prob. 


...and "Other" probably means from Massachusetts.

Home to the Maine Fiber Frolic!

And..according to ePodunk.com, there are 82 single men (probably posting personal ads in Uncle Henry's) to every 100 single women. This is a little bit skewed though, because you need to remember that there are only 1,143 women in Windsor, and over 30% of those are under 15 (never stopped anyone before, no worries) or over 65. Food (and guns and wedding dresses?) for thought.

* I'd like to point out that not all things Windsor are bad. They host the Windsor Fair, which is fun if you like smelly animals and goat's milk, and they also had a really cute guy on their high school basketball team one time.

3 comments:

  1. HA! I feel as though I've been to Husseys already! Down in Mississippi there is a truck stop / AMPM store called Stuckey's (actually it's a small chain) and the one down the road from my fam's had a sign that read...
    GAS GRITS TAXIDERMY
    NON-STOP SHOP
    ...for years they never changed it. Last time I stopped by it read
    GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
    AND KEEP GAS PRICES LOW
    ...oh man, the political fodder in that one!

    Honest tough, I have never been to Maine but this really makes me want to visit. I hear there oodles of eccentric types. My favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post! i feel like dan keeps seeing places like this and wondering where on earth i've taken him to. NOT that there's not stuff like this in kansas, so he's shouldn't judge. oh i love maine.

    ReplyDelete