Sometimes, when I haven't made anything or done anything creative in a while, I feel like my brain is itchy. Most of the time, when I think about what to write, I browse my favorite sites and blogs and magazines for inspiration. The worst of times, I don't find anything.
But!
Today, I thought of something! I thought of how someone told me about how his friend used to reupholster furniture with old sails that she had some magical way of obtaining because she worked in a sail factory or something. (What? Yeah, maybe that wasn't it...but she had some way of getting these sails...)Anyway, she was apparently in very high demand in her area. I can see why...because it is genius. The fabric is durable, interesting and unique. Also, it's not easy to find or sew with, so it makes it more rare, which makes it cool.
I love the company Sea Bags, based in Portland, ME but they are expensive and uber preppy. After all, sailing is totally "something white people like" and it's definitely considered a privileged hobby.They are original, well made, nice looking and again, durable as hell, which makes for a good product.
So, someone has already done these things. I need to decide what I can do with something like this that is unique and fresh. Here is the beginning of my brainstorm:
All above items found on eBay.
What should I make? Pillows? Chairs? Totes? Wall hangings? I feel like it's all been done.

.jpg)


whoa love the sea bags shower curtains! that's awesome. burlap lamp shades? i have a small make-up bag made from a sail, it's pretty awesome.
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of the rice bag purses we had in college. You need to take it one step beyond throw pillows. Who wants to cuddle with burlap? Placemats?
ReplyDelete